Proud to be an indiblogger

Monday 8 October 2012

MAHARASHTRA NATURE PARK


If anyone had told me that there is an oasis of peace and tranquillity in the heart of Mumbai, I would have laughed in his face. But my friend persisted and got me to visit the Maharashtra Nature Park – more with a view to proving him wrong. So with Camera in tow, I took off early to visit this park in the heart of bustling Mumbai city.  I had expected a harrowing experience ... but read on.

The first surprise is that not too many people know of this place (or if they do they give it a miss). This was evident by the thin crowds at the park. I got to park the car safely on the road just outside the main gate.  The main gate is NOT the one opposite the Dharavi bus terminus but the next one (if you are driving from the western suburbs).
 




  












 Once you enter the park – you are in the lap of nature. Dense foliage makes the park a haven for both flora & fauna. This park is spread over an area of about 30 acres and has been built on what earlier was a garbage dumping ground. There is no evidence of a garbage dump today. You get the services of a guide and interpreter should you require one. The park itself is well maintained with clean (filtered) drinking water available and clean toilets. Entry fee is Rs. 5/= for individuals. 
 I got to photograph a sun bird at a distance and many many flowers. As it had rained the previous night  I got the opportunity to capture dew drops (or raindrops) on the verdant green leaves.
I am told that there are a number of birds that we can see at the park but I didn’t see too many. But this has made me determined to visit the park every two or three months to see and capture the birds that I do get to see.

On returning home I called up my friend and told him that he was right and (sceptic that I was) I was delighted to be proved wrong . And that he should accompany me on my next visit.
Tips for Visitors
1.       As the park is well maintained please do not carry food articles inside. If you do, please do not leave any plastic bags behind.
2.       Best time to visit is early morning – the park opens at 8.00 am – you will have the park almost to yourselves at this time
3.       Depending on the month of your visit, it would be a good idea to carry (and use) some mosquito repellent cream
4.       Do not be in a hurry, enjoy the park at a leisurely  pace – the park has much to offer if you are patient.
5.       You may find a magnifying glass, a pair of binoculars and a camera useful. For serious nature lovers a guide would be able to help you identify the trees, plants and birds and butterflies.

1 comment: